Wednesday 3 November 2021

Book Frustration: Flypaper Thoughts Edition

One of my mother's favourite bloggers, Barbara Emodi, produces posts that she calls 'flypaper thoughts', a bulleted list of semi-connected musings and stories. I love them--here is my version.

  • Having borrowed Dorothy Dunnett's Niccolo Rising from the public library and devoured it in a weekend, I put the second book in the series on hold.
  • It has been 'in transit' between between the Long Sutton Library and Lincoln Central for nearly eight weeks.
  • I am second in the reservation queue.
  • I was beginning to wonder if it fell off the back of a truck and into the Wash.
  • Walking home recently, I saw a Lincolnshire Libraries truck carrying books to the library.
  • There did not appear to be a way for books to escape it.
  • The library has copies of the House of Niccolo series on Kindle.
  • Because they are Dorothy Dunnett books, they are intricately plotted.
  • Which means that if I read them on a Kindle, I will not follow half of the plot.
  • I read two of her other books, The Ringed Castle and Checkmate, on Kindle. 
  • This is how I know.
  • To overcome high levels of book-frustration, I asked my local bookshop to order the whole series.
  • The bookshop warned me that due to low stocks and supply chain problems, they could not tell me when the books would arrive.
  • I ordered used copies.
  • A courier from Hermes attempted to deliver the books today.
  • I was not in.
  • They will try again tomorrow.
  • I am not in tomorrow. 
  • Hermes does not allow me to change the delivery address.
  • They also do not allow me to choose a delivery day on which I will be home.
  • They do allow me to redirect the parcel to a neighbour.
  •  My closest neighbour does not have a doorbell.
  • To be continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment