Friday 26 November 2021

Happy Thanksgiving

Two years ago, I brought a pumpkin pie to work to celebrate Thanksgiving. I wasn't able to do that last year (the UK was just about to lock down again), but at the start of November my lovely colleagues began asking me about when Thanksgiving is, and would there be pumpkin pie again?

I was delighted to be able to bring a pie into work today, joined in the staff kitchen by the popup paper turkey I keep in my desk drawer, who makes an annual appearance on my desk every fourth Thursday in November.

 

paper turkeys smell like holiday spirit
Not my actual office but the turkey looks like this. "paper turkeys smell like holiday spirit" by Robert Couse-Baker is licensed under CC BY 2.0

I'm grateful for many things this year--lovely colleagues, friends, and family--and also the chance to share pie once again. In thankfulness for that, here is the recipe!

My Grandmother's Pumpkin Pie

  • 1 ¼ cups of pumpkin (Hope’s Mom’s Note: Libby’s preferred and NOT pumpkin pie filling! I use the entire small can of Libby’s pumpkin.) [Hope’s Note: Libby’s is an American brand which is not always easy to find over here; if you can find any brand of canned pumpkin in the grocery store--the American foods section at Tesco has it--that will work great. No need to measure, as my Mom says just put the whole thing in the pie. When I can’t find canned pumpkin, I cut an orange-fleshed squash in half, scoop out the seeds, roast it in a 400 degree (180C) oven for 30-60 minutes, measure out 1 1/14 cups and then use a food processor to blend it smooth and mix it with the pie ingredients.]
  • 1 scant cup of sugar
  • ¾ teaspoon cinnamon [I generally up this to 1tsp.]
  • ¼ teaspoon of allspice
  • Pinch of ground cloves [If you like cloves, use 1/4tsp; if in doubt, use less.]
  • ½ teaspoon of salt
  • 3 large eggs
  • 1 cup evaporate milk 
  • 1 piecrust, homemade or purchased

Combine the pumpkin, sugar, spices, and salt; stir.

Add 3 large eggs and stir until well mixed.

Add 1 cup of evaporated milk and stir together well.

Pour into pie crust [use your favorite piecrust recipe or a storebought crust] and bake in 400 degree (180C) oven for 1 hour. After the first 30 minutes be sure and check to see if the pie is getting too brown, if it is then turn oven down to 375 degrees (about 160C) and if need be cover the edges with foil. Serve with a dab of whipped cream! 

No comments:

Post a Comment