Sunday 28 November 2021

Thanksgiving: Flypaper Thoughts Edition

 I love Barbara Emodi's flypaper thoughts; here is my own version

  • Thanksgiving is the final Thursday in November
  • unless you are Canadian
  • Then it is in October
  • If you choose your friends wisely 
  • you can have two thanksgivings a year  
  • Because I live over the ocean
  • I can never remember when Thanksgiving is
  • I've been telling British people it's the third Thursday for years
  • This is not correct
  • Since 2016, I have had my Thanksgivings
  • On weekends
  • When you have a job, it's easier
  • to manage large dinner parties on Saturdays
  • Than Thursdays
  • But during my PhD, when I had Thanksgiving on Thursdays
  • I would put the turkey in the oven
  • go to a seminar
  • skip the questions after the paper
  • And head back to finish off the meal
  • to be joined by a dozen or more guests afterwards
  • Being young and fearless sure is something
  • the turkey always turned out great
  • sometimes things need less effort than we think they do
  • My UK Thanksgivings began in 2012
  • I borrowed a friend's apartment in Cambridge
  • the 2013 one was in Leeds
  • I had two Thanksgivings in 2014, 2015
  • And 2016
  • Small Thanksgivings in 2017 and 2018
  • And a very special one in 2019
  • Less than a week before I moved
  • Nothing was packed
  • It was so worth it
  • There was no Thanksgiving in 2020
  • I hate eating on zoom
  • And Lincolnshire in November doesn't allow for outdoor picnics
  • But this year, with vaccines and rapid testing kits
  • I was able to have a small indoor Thanksgiving
  • My guests announced themselves as "Thanksgiving virgins"
  • So we began the meal joking and whooping with laughter
  • Thank goodness for friends
  • I overcatered
  • No one minded
  • It was so very lovely
  • to have Thanksgiving again.

No comments:

Post a Comment