Wednesday 16 November 2022

Songs I Like, #16, Le Gorille by Georges Brassens

Peter S. Beagle is probably best known as a fantasy writer, the author of The Last Unicorn and many other delights. His short story "Professor Gottesman and the Indian Rhinoceros" is one of those pieces of writing that makes me think of what the Austrian violinist Fritz Kreisler allegedly said after hearing the young Jascha Heifetz play. "Well, gentlemen, shall we all break our fiddles across our knees?" It's an impossibly perfect story.

I read it in, together with the essay, "My Last Heroes" in The Rhinoceros Who Quoted Nietzsche and Other Odd Acquaintances, an anthology of Beagle's essays and short stories. One of his last heroes is Georges Brassens, and he writes so passionately about about falling love with Brassens' songs that I promptly repaired to Youtube to discover them for myself. The songs accompanied me all through my PhD and I still put them on every so often, in the right mood. In truth, my French is exceptionally bad; I depend on translations to understand the lyrics of the songs. A great resource for appreciating Brassens is a wonderful blog by David Yendley, which offers English translations and commentary on the songs and what they mean.

There are a few songs that I could share in this month--La mauvais herbe, with its abrupt changes in mood; and Les amoreux des bancs publique, because it's sweet (or as sweet as Brassens ever gets). But I'm picking a third song instead: Le Gorille, which was banned on French radio from its first release in 1952 until 1955.

Le Gorille is an obscene song about a lot of things, among them opposition to capital punishment. The contrast between the between the lively, cheerful music and the acid-black humour of the lyrics amuses me greatly.

No comments:

Post a Comment