Friday 25 November 2022

Music I Like, #25, He's a Mental Giant (Tech N9ne)

In university music theory classes, you do courses on ear training, where you learn to transcribe the rhythms, harmonies, and melodies of music that you hear. This is as difficult as it sounds (I was always very bad at it), but I loved how it challenged me to pay attention to what I was hearing. My appreciation for rhythmic dictation, in particular, was enhanced by one of our guest lecturers, the incredible violinist and composer, DBR (Daniel Bernard Roumain), who spoke with his violin in hand, playing to demonstrate his points. He spoke passionately and enthusiastically about the beauty and rhythmic complexity of hip hop. Years later, when I heard 'He's a Mental Giant', I thought of that lecture. It was such a joy to experience. So is this song.

No comments:

Post a Comment