Monday 9 November 2020

Mittens and Madame Vice President

 It's been a long week and I don't have an eloquent post in me so here is a list and mittens.

1. Kamala Harris is now vice president-elect of the United States.

2. She will be the first woman, and the first woman of colour, ever to hold this office.

3. As someone who got into history through reading and writing about American women's history for school projects, I was moved to tears when I heard Kamala Harris say that she will be the first woman to hold this office, but not the last.

4. 'Dream with ambition' is a wonderful message for children. And the rest of us, too.

5. I have spent the past day and a half watching every video I could find of the joyous cheering and honking of car horns that took place across America when the election was called for Biden and Harris.

6. One of my favourite one-liners about the election result is

7. Another favourite one-liner occurred after I texted some friends from work, 'So how many people do you think tweeted at Trump that he's fired tonight?' and one of them immediately replied '74 million'.

8. The first presidential election I voted in was in 2008, and I remember watching the results come in with members of my college fraternity. Someone shouted 'It feels like we just blew up the Death Star!' when the election was called for Obama.

9. This week I want to make donations to food banks and get out the vote organisations, such as Fair Fight, in Georgia. I am in awe of Stacey Abrams and the many other organisers whose work made the difference there.

10. Today I reknit the thumbs on a pair of mittens to be the appropriate length. They would have been finished before this, but I sat on them for several weeks trying to convince myself that a too-short thumb was something I could cope with.

a pair of green mittens
Faux cable knitted mittens

11. The yarn comes from Caithness Yarns, whose proprietor won my heart by repeatedly referring to his "sheepies" when we spoke at a wool festival.

No comments:

Post a Comment