Sunday 7 January 2024

A Triptych of Poems About Winter

"Stopping by the Woods on A Snowy Evening" might be one of the most famous English-language poems about winter. It's certainly one of the best known poems by Robert Frost (1874-1963). Reading Frost's complete poems over the holiday break, I was delighted to encounter poems about winter which were new to me. In honor of the snowstorm predicted for New England, here is a triptych of poems about winter.

Sunrise, 7 January 2023

Looking for a Sunset Bird in Winter

The west was getting out of gold,
The breath of air had died of cold,
When shoeing home across the white,
I thought I saw a bird alight.
In summer when I passed the place
I had to stop and lift my face;
A bird with an angelic gift
Was singing in it sweet and swift.
No bird was singing in it now.
A single leaf was on a bough,
And that was all there was to see
In going twice around the tree.
From my advantage on a hill
I judged that such a crystal chill
Was only adding frost to snow
As gilt to gold that wouldn’t show.
A brush had left a crooked stroke
Of what was either cloud or smoke
From north to south across the blue;
A piercing little star was through.

Male Golden-crowned Kinglet (Steve Burt, Flickr)

Wilful Homing

It is getting dark and time he drew to a house,
But the blizzard blinds him to any house ahead.
The storm gets down his neck in an icy souse
That sucks his breath like a wicked cat in bed.
The snow blows on him and off him, exerting force
Downward to make him sit astride a drift,
Imprint a saddle and calmly consider a course.
He peers out shrewdly into the thick and swift.
Since he means to come to a door he will come to a door,
Although so compromised of aim and rate
He may fumble wide of the knob a yard or more,
And to those concerned he may seem a little late.

Text from archive.org
Sunset, 20 December 2021

A Patch of Old Snow

There's a patch of old snow in a corner
    That I should have guessed
Was a blow-away paper the rain
    Had brought to rest.

It is speckled with grime as if
     Small print overspread it,
The news of a day I’ve forgotten—
     If I ever read it.

Text from poets.org 

No comments:

Post a Comment