Wednesday 7 June 2023

#AHAReads: 2023 Summer Reading Challenge

It's time for the second annual #AHAReads, a summer reading challenge for historians. Even though it took me a year to finish, I loved participating in the 2022 challenge. Despite what a busy summer ahead, I still want to participate in the 2023 challenge and write about what I read.

Here's this year's bingo card.

AHA Reads Bingo Card 2023
#AHA Reads: 2023 Summer Reading Challenge Bingo Card

Between 1 June and 4 September (Labour Day in the United States), one can complete the challenge by picking three of the following options:

  • Read a history written for young readers
  • Read a history of your local community or state
  • Read a graphic history
  • Read a history written by someone with a different background from your own
  • Free space: read a history that's been on your shelf too long (we all have one!)
  • Read a history published before 2000
  • Read a piece of historical fiction (novel, poem, story, play) set in the time or place you study
  • Read a history that has been challenged or banned
  • Read a history of a place you know little about

As I did last year, I'm setting the following additional guidelines:

  • No purchasing books for the challenge. Books must either be already in my collection, borrowed from my library, or loaned by a friend.
  • Print books only--summer reading challenges are supposed to be fun, and for me, reading an ebook is not.
  • Blog about what I read and finish writing all posts by 4 September.

So which challenges have I chosen and what am I reading?

 
My first choice is to read a history that's been on your shelf too long (we all have one!). Although there are many late antique and early medieval history titles I could choose, I'm going to go with Karen Harvey's The Impostress Rabbit Breeder, which has been on loan from a friend for over a year, and which I need to return before the end of August.
 
The Imposteress Rabbit-Breeder
The Imposteress Rabbit Breeder by Karen Harvey
My next choice is to read a history of a place you know little about. My choice is a book I've had borrowed from the library for awhile, Serhii Plokhy's The Gates of Europe: A History of Ukraine.

The Gates of Europe: A History of Ukraine (Paperback)
The Gates of Europe by Serhii Ploky


My final choice is to read a graphic history. Thanks to the incredible work of my University's fine art librarian, the library where I work now has a zine collection! I've been wandering by and flipping through them for the past few months but haven't made the time to sit down and read one properly. Plus, zine are usually pretty short, and I may not have a lot of time for reading this summer.
 
Which should I read first? Wishing everyone participating in the challenge a fun selection of books, and the time and space to enjoy them.

No comments:

Post a Comment