Monday 4 January 2021

Goals for 2021

 Gentle reader, how do you mark the new year? My family typically has a holiday dinner on New Year's Day, and we went to First Night celebrations when I was a child, but I don't usually do much in the way of celebrating. This year marks the first year I stayed up to see in the new year, and that was mostly because some people in my neighbourhood set off some midnight fireworks. 

Like a lot of people, I often mark the new year by writing a set of resolutions. I rarely check back on or revisit these once I've written them in my journal.


A notebook page with the heading 'goals/resolutions' and a list that starts 1.
"Resolutions and goals" by creepyed is licensed under CC BY-NC-SA 2.0

So much has gone upside down, why not change this? Inspired by Hank Green's hilarious (and amusingly not inaccurate) predictions for 2020, written in 1990, and John Green's rueful revisiting of his own goals for 2020, I am writing my goals for 2021 here for the fun of revisiting them in 365 days or so.

Academia

  1. Submit a draft of at least one academic article to a journal by December 2021.
  2. Submit my two in-progress book reviews.
  3. Edit my book on friendship for publication.
  4. Celebrate other people's good news. I sometimes feel that academic has a toxic culture of always finding fault, rather than celebrating achievements. Some of my most joyful moments as a historian last year came from celebrating others' achievements or having them celebrate mine. I want to be the kind of person who enjoys a colleague's article or book, hears about their grant or job success, and sends them a note of congratulations.

Cooking 

  1. Expand my repertoire of quick and healthy meals. 
  2. Order a maximum of one Deliveroo or takeaway or per month. Try to have at least two months where I ordered no takeaway or food delivery at all.
  3. Try at least one new recipe a month.

Knitting

  1. Knit at least six pairs of socks.
  2. Make a hat. 
  3. Make a pair of mittens
  4. Knit another creature from the Dovestone Smallholding book
  5. Finish Mom's birthday blanket.

Reading

"I <3 2 read" by katerha is licensed under CC BY 2.0

  1. Read at least 52 books this year.
  2. One thing that really jumped out at me from rounding up my reading in 2020 was that there are several genres not well represented in my reading including (surprisingly for a historian), history, as well as (surprising given how much I love them both) short stories, and poetry. I'd like to read at least three books in each of those categories in 2020.
  3. Share more books: one of the highlights of my 2020 was trading books and book recommendations, so I'd like to do more of this in the new year.

Running

  1. Complete the NYCRuns Subway Challenge II. I am attempting to complete the Train Operator challenge of running 691 miles in 26 weeks. This week is Week 16, and if I run at least 26.65 miles every week for the next ten weeks, I will just make it.
  2. Baring unforeseen catastrophe that eliminates in-person racing, finish the 2021 Manchester Marathon, in under four hours, uninjured and if possible smiling.
  3. Try to use the local track for speed workouts at least twice.
  4. Having found Youtube videos of follow-along warmup routines helpful, I'd like to make more use of Youtube as a resource for doing more cool downs, foam rolling, and strength training and/or abs workouts in 2021. 
  5. Participate in a Santa Fun Run of some kind, whether virtual or in-person.

"Lincoln's Racing Santas" by Lincolnian (Brian) is licensed under CC BY-SA 2.0

Trying to Decrease Worldsuck 

  1. In 2020, I spent around £42 per month on Deliveroo, largely due to only going to the grocery store every 6-8 weeks (see also, my first cooking goal). In 2021, I want to donate an equivalent amount of money to local and national food banks.
  2. Continue volunteering with AgeUK's Vitals for Veterans Programme.
  3. Find new opportunities to volunteer, especially with initiatives that aim to decrease loneliness and isolation for elderly people.

Writing 

  1. Pitch at least one story to JSTOR Daily.
  2. If and when pitches reopen, pitch a story or 'How I Do History' feature to Contingent magazine. 
  3. Post on this blog once a week.
  4. Write an essay about long-distance relationships in the 1918 Influenza pandemic.
  5. At least once a month, post something relating to late antique history.

No comments:

Post a Comment