Sunday 15 May 2022

The Sweetness of Dogs

What do you say, Percy? I am thinking
of sitting out on the sand to watch
the moon rise. It's full tonight.
So we go

and the moon rises, so beautiful it
makes me shudder, makes me think about
time and space, makes me take
measure of myself: one iota
pondering heaven. Thus we sit, myself

thinking how grateful I am for the moon's
perfect beauty and also, oh! how rich
it is to love the world. Percy, meanwhile,
leans against me and gazes up into 
my face. As though I were just as wonderful
as the perfect moon.

~ Mary Oliver, Dog Songs (London, 2013), p. 61
 
This poem makes me think of the beautiful love between my mother and our family red setter, Molly. With each other, sometimes they are both like Percy in this poem. And they are both wonderful as the perfect moon to me. Here they are on a recent trip home.

a photograph of red dog lying down in the front seat of a car, facing towards the back seat. A white hand pets her head.
9 April 2022

No comments:

Post a Comment